Subject Access Requests (SARs)

What are "Subject Access Requests"?

Health records are extremely personal and sensitive. They can be held electronically or as paper files, and are kept by a range of different services in the Trust. You have a right to get a copy of the information that is held about you. These are known as Subject Access Rights.

How do I find out what information is stored on my personal health record?

  • Requests to see records and other related information are known as Subject Access Requests and you need to make this request to the service that is holding the information you want
  • In most cases the Trust does not make a charge for Subject Access Requests. A reasonable fee may be made in exceptional circumstances. Please see the Information Governance Policy for more information.
  • The Trust will need to verify your identity – guidance about this is given in our Subject Access Request Form which you may wish to use to make your application

...but what if I already work in the NHS - does this still apply?

  • Regardless of any professional or clinical position (e.g. a Health Visitor wanting to view an aunt's health record), this formal process is followed to ensure an individual's information remains private, personal and confidential.