Data protection

The Data Protection Act

This relates to living individuals and gives individuals the right to request access to personal records held about them by persons or organisations, such as this Trust, this is known as a Subject Access Request (SAR).

A health record is any record or information relating to someone's physical or mental health that has been made by (or on behalf of) a health professional. This could be anything from the notes made by a therapist to results of an MRI scan or X-rays.

Who can request this information?

  • The named individual
  • Personal representative with written authority
  • Parent/Legal Guardian

How to make a request

For assistance with making a Subject Access Request (SAR), please use the Trust's Data Protection Liaison Officer (DPLO) contact list which will help you find the details of the each Service's Data Protection Liaison Officers so you can get in touch with them directly.

Only in circumstances where you have been unable to find the relevant Service contact or need further assistance please contact the Data Protection Officer by email or by phone.

Individual Rights

The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) provides the following rights for individuals:

  • The right to be informed
  • The right of access
  • The right to rectification
  • The right to erasure
  • The right to restrict processing
  • The right to data portability
  • The right to object
  • Rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling.

More details on your Individual Rights can be found on the Information Commissioner's Office web page.

GP Records

If you want information about your GP records then you need to contact your practice directly, except if you have de-registered (e.g. you have emigrated). In this instance, you need to apply to your area's local Clinical Commissioning Group (Telford and Wrekin CCG or Shropshire CCG) as they hold the records in their archive.