Brain injuries, strokes & neurological conditions
The Community Neuro Rehab Team (CNRT) is a community-based, specialist multidisciplinary team comprising Clinical Psychologists, Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists, Speech and Language Therapists, Rehabilitation Assistants and administrative support workers.
The CNRT provides treatment and self-management programmes for individuals living with acquired long-term neurological conditions. Our goal is to provide a co-ordinated service with specialist staff who will work with you, your family and/or your carers to support your recovery, optimise your abilities and improve your quality of life. In addition to 1:1 therapy the CNRT offers a range of therapy groups and we also aim to work with clients and their carers to ensure that rehabilitation is carried over into everyday activities at home.
The people we see
We provide rehabilitation for any person aged 16 or over with either a Shropshire or Telford and Wrekin CCG GP and a confirmed diagnosis of acquired neurological disability. This could be progressive or non-progressive and may include acquired brain injury, Huntington’s disease, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis, multiple systems atrophy, Parkinson’s disease, progressive supranuclear palsy, and/or stroke.
Clients can be referred to the CNRT by their GP, medical consultant or other healthcare professional using our dedicated referral form from our 'For Care Professional' page.
Clients who are already known to the service will have the option to self-refer for additional input in response to a change in their circumstances and/or deterioration in their neurological condition.
Services we do not offer
The Service will not normally see clients with:
- Congenital conditions
- No clear diagnosis
- Functional neurological conditions (somatoform disorders)
- Epilepsy as a primary diagnosis
- Spinal conditions, including Guillain-Barre Syndrome
We are unfortunately unable to accept referrals for chronic fatigue syndrome at this time. Individuals who are referred to us with this condition will be provided with self-management information and we will list them for input as and when this service resumes.
The Service does not usually accept referrals for clients in nursing homes except when it is temporary and they are going to be discharged home, or when there has been a change of state and the nursing home is seeking advice. In this instance the CNRT would act as a consultative service to support the delivery of continuing treatment.
What to bring with you
- A relative or carer to support the initial assessment (if desired)
- Current list of medication
- Other relevant medical correspondence
- A sling (or other transfer aid) if hoisting is required for personal care and toileting
- Glasses and hearing aids
- Any incontinence products required
- Any communication aids
- Walking aids or orthotics
- Drink and a snack (if appropriate)
Please let us know in advance if you require additional communication support relating to the Accessible Information Standard.
Frequently asked questions
- Is this a Shropshire-wide service?
Yes, this service is provided across the whole of Shropshire and Telford and Wrekin
- Do you see clients at home?
We do see clients at home or at other community locations when it is absolutely necessary or appropriate to do so, but the majority of our work is completed at our outpatient clinic in Shrewsbury.
- How often will clients be seen?
This will depend on the needs of the individual, but at most clients can expect to be seen once or twice a week during the initial phase of treatment.
- How long will clients be seen for – is the service time-limited?
The service is not currently time-limited and typically clients will continue to be seen while they are making rehabilitation gains.
COVID19 related documents
- Aphasia Friendly COVID-19 Information.pdf
- CNRT COVID-19 Resource Pack - Overview.pdf
- CNRT COVID-19 Resource Pack - Resource A - Emotional First Aid Kit
- CNRT COVID-19 Resource Pack - Resource B - Top Tips for Sustaining Wellbeing
- CNRT COVID-19 Resource Pack - Resource C - Mindfulness Exercises
- CNRT COVID-19 Resource Pack - Resource D - Activities List.pdf
- CNRT COVID-19 Resource Pack - Resource E - FACE COVID.pdf