Children's nursing care at home
The Children's Community Nursing service provides nursing care to children aged 0 to 18 years who have an identified nursing need.
We offer community visits to children, young people and their families across Shropshire.
The service co-ordinates and manages packages of care for children and young people with complex health/nursing needs to maximise their opportunities and reach their full potential.
What can you expect?
Your child and family will be supported by the team of Children's Community Nurses.
- have a named Children's Community Nurse who will support your child.
The nurse will...
- lead on the co-ordination of care delivered;
- act as an advocate on behalf of your child and family and provide a key-worker role to support you, if required;
- assess your child and agree a plan of care to meet their needs, providing information and advice to increase your confidence in care.
- work together with your child and family to provide support, teaching, and advice to enable you to manage their care safely and confidently;
- treat you and your child with dignity, respect and maintain confidentiality, only sharing information with other health professionals and agencies where relevant to your child's need and with your prior consent;
- work closely with all professionals and agencies involved in caring for and supporting your child.
The service co-ordinates and manages packages of care for children and young people with complex health/nursing needs to maximise their opportunities and reach their full potential by providing:
- Direct nursing care and treatment
- Monitoring and review of care and treatment plans
- Symptom management for life-limiting/life threatening conditions through to end-of-life care and support
- Training, advice and support to the family and/or carers to enable them to continue providing on-going care
- A resource for other professionals working with your child for information and advice on specialist/complex nursing care
The people we see
The Children's Community Nursing Service provides a countywide service to children and young people who have a GP in Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin.
We operate Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm (excluding bank holidays) and provide care to four specific groups:
- Complex health needs
- Long-term conditions
- Palliative care
- Short term and acute care
To access our service you need to be referred by your GP, local hospital or other health professional.
Services we do not offer
Weekend Cover/Evening service
If the child does not meet the criteria for service provision we will endeavour to signpost the family to alternative, appropriate services
What to bring with you
Anything that you feel would be useful in the intial consulation with the nurse.
Frequently asked questions
- What is your criteria for service provision?
The service provides skilled nursing care, advice and support for children and young people with complex health/nursing care needs which include:
- Technology dependent e.g. Home Ventilation/oxygen dependant/enteral & parenteral
- Intravenous drug regimes / central line care
- Stoma Care
- Anaphylaxis advice and support
- Complex wound care / tissue viability
- Chronic constipation (nurse led Telford only)
- Symptom control/monitoring for palliative care
- End of life care (24 hour on-call service)
- What hours do you work?
Monday to Friday, 08:00 - 18:00 (excluding bank holidays)
Where are we?
- Coral House
11 Longbow Close
Who are we?
The Children's Community Nursing Service (CCN) is a team of experienced children's nurses who hold various additional qualifications in community children's nursing, children's palliative care and special school nursing.
We have a small team of specialist community nursery nurses and support workers who work under the guidance of a community children's nurse team leader. These support workers provide short break care to children with life limiting and life threatening conditions. They are trained by the nurses and are able to meet the full range of competencies necessary to meet the individual needs of the child.
- Nursing care and treatment
- Training advice and family support to enable family/carers to provide care and support to the child
- Work with schools to provide training advice and support to enable every child to maximise their learning opportunities
- Act as a resource to other professionals
The Children's Community Nursing Service is seeking help from patients to help design a new leaflet for the service. Click on the PDF file below titled Design Competition for further details.
We love to hear from you so we can learn from your experiences of the service. Click on the letter below to find out more about one patient's experience of our care.