Child Development Centres
This section aims to provide General Practitioners (GPs) and members of Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs) with some more detailed information about our services. The information below is updated regularly, but, if you need to find out more detailed information about a specific service or have a very specific question about the service or referral pathway, then please contact the service manager or the key clinician detailed opposite.
- How does a GP refer in to the service?
GPs should contact the service directly for information and advice on how to refer in to the service.
The contact details are on the right of this page.
You can also view the page that provides information for patients or carers by clicking the link below.
Types of patients regularly seen
The Children's Development Centres normally see the following types of patients:
- Children aged 0-5 years
- Children with Disability or additional needs
- Children with developmental delay
- Children with physical disability
- Children with severe co ordination difficulties
- Children with autistic spectrum disorders Children with vision / hearing problems
- Children needing support with behaviour management in association with a developmental delay
The Child Development Service is an assessment service .The team are equipped to make a differential diagnosis and provide interventions to children with disability or additional needs under 5 years of age.
The team provide a short assessment for children who are thought to have difficulty within only one area of their development or who need a developmental check for medical reasons
The team provide a full assessment for children aged 2-5 years of age who may have developmental problems
Children are not usually offered a full assessment before 2 / 2.5 years of age.
The professionals involved are
- Nursery nurses
- Occupational therapists –health and social care
- Speech and Language Therapists
- Medical staff
- Educational psychologists
- Social workers
- Chartered child psychologist
- Administration support
Patients not seen by this service
The service does not see children who are over 5 years old.