Alcohol and Drug Services
This section aims to provide General Practitioners (GPs) and members of Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs) with some more detailed information about our services. The information below is updated regularly, but, if you need to find out more detailed information about a specific service or have a very specific question about the service or referral pathway, then please contact the service manager or the key clinician detailed opposite.
- How does a GP refer in to the service?
Telford and Wrekin patients:
GPs, other health professionals and partner organisations can refer patients directly to the service. GPs should contact the service directly by calling: 01952 381777.
Shropshire County patients:
GPs, other health professionals and partner organisations can refer patients directly to the service by writing a letter to the service (using the address on this page) or by calling the service directly. Tel: 01743 258800
You can also view the page that provides information for patients or carers by clicking the link below.
Types of patients regularly seen
The Alcohol and Drug Services team works closely with colleagues in the local authorities to provide services for local people who have drug and alcohol issues. There are different services provided to patients in Shropshire County compared with those in Telford and Wrekin.
Telford Drug and Alcohol Recovery Service (DARS)
This is a clinically-led service providing treatment and specific interventions to individuals in the Telford and Wrekin area. The service offers open access triage assessment of both drug and alcohol use and provides comprehensive treatment to enable the individual to work towards recovery. Including:
- Specialist triage and comprehensive assessment of current substance use
- Healthcare assessment including blood-borne virus testing and immunisation with referral on to other treatment if appropriate
- Provision of home alcohol detoxification and referral to in-patient alcohol detoxification
- Psychological therapies
- Integrated offender management
- Alcohol liaison service at the Princess Royal Hospital in Telford
- Caseload/ keywork one-to-one support
- Liaison with partner agencies
- Telford Drug and Alcohol Service Users' Forum (TDAF)
Shropshire Community Substance Misuse Team (CSMT)
The Shropshire community-based substance misuse service provides support and treatment to clients across Shropshire County. Including:
- Specialist prescribing
- Community detoxification and referral to in-patient detoxification
- Blood borne virus testing and immunisation
- Brief interventions
- Needle exchange service
- Criminal justice team
- Young persons' service
- Referral to rehabilitation servcies