Healthy eating is a very important part of maintaining good health and will help you to look and feel your best.
The key to obtaining and maintaining a healthy weight is by eating a well balanced diet. The eatwell plate is a guide for the proportion and type of foods needed to make up a healthy balanced diet.
It aims to help people understand what to eat, and that it's not always about giving up the foods that we enjoy - but about eating certain foods in smaller quantities or less frequently.
Physical activity is essential for good health and contributes to positive wellbeing. Many of the leading causes of disease and disability in our society - such as coronary heart disease, stroke and type 2 diabetes - are associated with a lack of physical activity.
To benefit your health...
- You should achieve a total of at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity a day on at least 5 days a week
- You don't need to do 30 minutes in one go - you could do 10 minutes of exercise 3 times a day or 15 minutes 2 times a day
What is moderate-intensity physical activity?
This is activity that makes you breathe slightly harder and feel slightly warmer than normal - but still able to hold a conversation.
For more information about activities in your area to help get you and your family moving visit Change4Life.
Drinking alcohol, whilst being part of our social life, can become problematic for some people. The impact of alcohol related problems not only affects the individuals but also the people around them.
- Every week more than 100 children living within the UK call ChildLine upset about their parents – some even as young as five years old.
- Every hour more than 100 people go into hospital in England and Wales with an alcohol-related condition and
- Every day more than 40 people die as a result of alcohol in England and Wales.