Community equipment services and moving & handling

Who are we?

Community Equipment Services provides a range of equipment from simple aids for daily living to more complex pieces of equipment enabling people to stay in their home environment.

The Moving & Handling Service is a clinically-led service which aims to meet the moving and handling needs of people, providing specialist support and help to people in Telford and Wrekin.

Our services

Community Equipment Services provides equipment that plays a vital role in helping disabled people of all ages to develop their full potential and to maintain their health and independence.

It facilitates hospital discharge with the provision of equipment e.g. beds, mattress systems, allowing people to be in a place of their choice.

The Moving and Handling Service provides specific, clinically-led advice to patients, carers and health care professionals on moving and handling issues. This includes clinical assessments and re-assessments as required and as medical conditions change. The team also demonstrates how specialist or prescribed equipments works.

A clinical advisor is available to give specialist advice on equipment supporting the patient and healthcare professionals.

There is a moving & handling advisor available for specialist advice for Telford patients and healthcare professionals.

The people we see

The Moving & Handling team normally see people with a long-term disability, including neurological trauma (head injuries), spinal injuries, elderly and frail people, children born with a congenital conditions.

New patients

If you feel you require a piece of equipment to assist you with your daily living, then contact your local healthcare professional e.g. a district nurse; occupational therapist or physiotherapist who will carry out an assessment to identify your needs.

New patients are referred into the service by a health care professional - like an NHS social care worker (i.e. a community nurse, therapist, social worker or GP) by means of a specialist moving & handling referral form. Joint working may be required between the moving & handling team and the referring professional depending on need and condition.

You are most likely to be seen by a specialist nurse or occupational therapist.

Existing patients

There are no age restrictions for accessing the community equipment service, in all cases you can contact your local health care professional who will help you with assessing/identifying your needs.

Existing moving & handling patients can contact the service directly for help, advice and support, there is no need for a further referral for to be completed by a health care professional.

Services we do not offer

The Moving and Handling team does not provide ceiling track hoists or specialist social care equipment.

Frequently asked questions

I think I need a piece of equipment to help with my mobility. How do I get it?

Contact your local healthcare professional e.g. a district nurse; occupational therapist or physiotherapist.


Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) and our "Local Offer"

What is the Local Offer?

The local offer provides information for children and young people with special educational needs (SEND) and their parents or carers in a single place. You can find out more about information about this on our SEND reforms and Local Offers page.

Service Description

The moving and handling service/family trainer aims to meet the moving and handling needs of people of all ages within Telford and Wrekin.

This is achieved through an advisory service, skilled clinical assessment, demonstration/advice on appropriate moving and handling techniques, where this results in moving and handling equipment provision demonstrations are carried out to ensure safe/appropriate use.

What do you provide to children and young people with an additional need and or disability 0-25yrs?

Do you provide support for parents and carers?

Yes we do provide support for parents and carers. We have a Family trainer whose role is dedicated to helping a family member who is the main carer

Who can use our service? Age? Disability?

Anybody who requires a moving and handling assessment.

How to access our service (inc. referral routes)

The service will accept any new referrals from any health professional who works for Shropshire Community NHS Trust or Social Care Staff Telford & Wrekin Council for Telford and Wrekin patients only. This is defined as a G.P within the Telford and Wrekin area. The moving and handling service is not commissioned in Shropshire.

Care agencies and self-referrals can be made if the patient/service user is known to the service, therefore having a referral made previously from the above sources.

Care homes/supported living need to refer through single point of referral or the social work team at Darby House.

When and where is our service available?

Monday to Thursday 9-5 and Friday 9-4.

Moving and handling/family trainer assessments will be carried out as judged appropriate to the service users needs, in most cases the home environment needs to be assessed for space constrains, hazards, bed/chair clearance for some equipment and for equipment currently in place. On some occasions it is deemed appropriate for the service user to attend the demonstration room at Hortonwood in Telford, for a full assessment.

How to find out about the service

Usually referred by social worker/health professional.

See referrals.

For external agencies: is the service free or charged?


Is the service accredited? If so, by whom?

Care Quality Commission

How can families complain if they are not happy with the service?

All complaints are handled by our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) and Complaints teams.


Follow us:

Share this: