Dudley School Nurses
Who are we?
The School Nursing Service takes over their care from the Health Visitor at school entry. Child health records are handed over to the school nursing service from the Health Visitor and remain with the School Nursing Service until young people leave school or sixth form.
Our School Nursing team are based within the secondary schools across the Borough of Dudley to increase our accessibility and visibility for children and young people.
School Nurses are qualified registered nurses or midwives with specialist training and experience in public health for children, young people and families.
Services we offer
- Promoting healthy lifestyles
- Provide health assessments
- Health screening such as the National Child Measurement Programme (NCMP) completed in Reception and Year 6
- Supporting pupils with long term health conditions or disabilities such as asthma, diabetes or epilepsy
- Primary school, secondary school and community drop-in’s
- Working with schools, children and young people to address smoking, alcohol or drugs.
- Support to parents and carers providing advice on specific issues such as bedwetting or healthy eating
- Protection of vulnerable children to improve their health outcomes
- Signposting and access to other services
The School Nursing Service offers parents, carers, children and young people a confidential service which means they do not tell anyone what they tell them unless it is with their consent. However we will have to share information if we are told that anyone under the age of eighteen has been or is being harmed in any way. This will always be discussed with them before it happens.
The people we see
School Nurses offer services to school aged children between the ages of 5 to 19 years old who attend local state schools and some special schools.
Services we do not offer
School Nurses do not undertake vision testing in school; this is carried out by the sensory inclusion service who offer this during your child's first year in school.
What you should bring with you
If we need you to bring anything with you to your appointment, we will notify you of this beforehand.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do we contact our school nurse?
The School Nursing Service can provide you with help, advice and support on many of the physical and emotional problems your child may encounter throughout their school life.
Each primary and secondary school has an allocated named School Nurse. To access our service you can:
- Speak to your GP
- Speak to your child’s teacher or school staff
- Speak to any other healthcare professional involved in your family care
- Contact us directly and refer yourself
Was this page...