Who are we?
The role of the occupational therapist is to enable children and young people to function to the best of their ability. Occupational Therapists provide advice for children whose ability to carry out functional skills is compromised.
People who work for the team have two main roles:
- Occupational Therapists who carry out assessments and provide advice
- Occupational Therapy Technical Instructors who provide support, training and delivery therapy programmes to school and parents, under the supervision of Occupational Therapists.
This service is provided for the whole of Shropshire county, including Telford and Wrekin residents.
Our occupational therapy services are provided to:
- Mainstream schools
- Special schools
- Early Years
The people we see
The service sees children and young people between 0-18 years old who are experiencing functional difficulties at home and school.
We operate an an open referral system and accept referrals from parents, school or any other professional with parents consent for children between the ages of 0 to 18.
Please see referral form and guidelines in Patient Information section
Existing patients can contact us directly for help and support.We are able to discuss any difficulties up to one year after discharge, by telephone (01743 450800) or via email to our advice clinic (OT4Kids@shropcom.nhs.uk)
Services we do not offer
- We do not provide equipment for home; adaptations of the home environment; assessment for dyslexia or services for adults.
- We do not deal with referrals for wheelchairs. Please see link to Shropshire Wheelchair and Posture Services in Additional Links Section
What you should bring with you
Information will be sent to parents / carers before the first initial appointment about what is needed.
Frequently asked questions
- How long will it be before my child is assessed ?
Please see Waiting Time box in the right hand column
- What happens at the assessment ?
Following the assessment your child may be offered further contact and treatment. Examples of sessions offered can be found in the right hand column.
- Can I refer my child myself ?
Yes. We operate an open referal system. Please see the Referal Form and Guidelines in the Patient Information section.
- How long will the assessment take ?
We usually allocate 1hour 30 minutes - 2 hours for the assessment. This gives us time to complete standardised assessments and discuss your concerns.
- What happens if my child is discharged?
We can be contacted by telephone to discuss any concerns, please see the Contact Us box on the top right of this page. Alternatively send an e-mail to our advice clinic email@example.com.
If you do need to re-refer, please use the referral form in the Patient Information section.
- Who can I contact regarding housing adaptations?
Adaptations to housing, or the loan of relevant equipment is dealt with by the Occupational Therapists on the Social Care Team. Please contact them on the following numbers.
Telford - 01952 381380
Shropshire - 0345 678 9005