The following national websites also contain useful information.
Who are we?
Admiral Nurses are mental health nurses specialising in dementia care, working collaboratively with health and social care professionals and voluntary organisations to improve the experiences for those affected by dementia.
Admiral Nurses offer individualised support for family carers and people with dementia, which entails comprehensive assessment of need and provision of a range of therapeutic approaches designed to promote well being and equip family carers with skills and information.
Dementia UK is a national charity which works in partnership with the NHS, local authorities and other organisations to promote and develop Admiral Nursing and to support the practice of Admiral Nurses.
The service is available to carers of people with dementia who are registered to a Telford and Wrekin GP. Direct care is not provided for the person who has dementia. The service is not available to under 18 year olds who are referred to Red Cross or Young Carers. We provide:
- Guidance on how appropriate services and sources of support can be accessed in local areas.
- Liaison with other professionals and organisations to ensure that families obtain co-ordinated support.
- Practical advice to help carers to develop and improve skills in giving care.
- Psychological support to help family carers and people with dementia understand and deal with their feelings and emotions.
- Referral to treatment and support services.
- Skilled assessments of the needs of family carers and individuals with dementia.
- Therapeutic, psycho-educational and social support groups for family carers.
The people we see
The service sees carers of people with a diagnosis of dementia.
Services we do not offer
Admiral Nurses do not provide direct care for the person with dementia but provide support to the carers.
Frequently asked questions
- How do I access the service?
A healthcare professional can refer you or you can self refer yourself to the service if you are a carer of someone who has a diagnosis of dementia and is registered to a Telford and Wrekin GP.
- What to do in a crisis?
People need to call the Freephone 111 service who will advise them on what to do.
- Why are professionals called Admiral Nurses?
Admiral Nursing was established as a result of the experiences of family carers. Admiral Nurses are named after Joseph Levy who had vascular dementia and was known as ‘Admiral Joe’ due to his keen interest in sailing.